Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Professionals Behaving Badly...

You know what, I get really jacked off by professionals lending the credibility of their professional roles to something they wouldn't consider doing in that professional role.

"Dr" Phil McGraw is a case in point.

He may very well be a excellent medical professional for all I know. I've never experienced his work in that role. It may very well be that his badgering style of "what are you thinking" counselling is even appropriate in a lot of cases. God knows, if I was a counsellor, it'd probably be my approach!

But do you think even for a second that he would take a client into the foyeur of his office or to the show stage in the local shopping centre and counsel them in full public view? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. A serious medical professional would never do such a thing.

So am I the only one who thinks that he shouldn't be allowed to effectively advertise his professional credentials in an exercise that he'd probably get struck off for if he did it for real? By all means produce a show of this type. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I can see the appeal and from the little I have seen and from what C tells me, I gather he raises some decent issues.

Just don't call yourself a Doctor while you're doing it! Cos in that moment, you aint, buster!

0 Comments: