Monday, August 14, 2006

bad habits...

I'm not going to kid you. Or myself for that matter. I have a considerable number of bad habits. I bite my nails. I'd really like to stop, but, you know, it's a habit, right? I know, very soft option.

Now my neice has started. She's five and a bit. I don't think it's been seriously suggested that she's copying me, although we do have a close relationship. We haven't seen all that much of each other lately and my sister would not feel any compuncion at all in laying it right on the table in front of me if she believed it were true. (C has had a shot, but it's more philosophical - and part teasing - than actually blaming me.)

So anyway, I thought I'd try a little pact with the girl. You know the kind of thing. Taking advantage of the trust she has in me to make a pinky promise something she'd have to stick to. (Of course, so would I. The irony is not lost!)

You know what she said?

"Maybe when I'm older. Like six, or seven."

I shit you not. Cheeky little bugger!

0 Comments: